Rock Band Pro MIDI & Tech Info Discussion

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 12 years and 2 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: Rock Band Pro MIDI & Tech Info Discussion

Postby raynebc » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:32 am

We've come to find patent documentation (http://www.google.com/patents/US2011025 ... &q&f=false) describes the strum "area" markers. According to the documentation, the strum areas determine which strings the game engine requires you to actually hit properly (correct frets of course) in order for it to allow you to get counted for it, and it's pretty close to describing the way the chord is strummed, ie. direction. Putting that information together with what we've come to observe in official charts, this should about cover it:

Note 33, 57, 81, 105: Strum area markers for easy, medium, hard and expert
High area strums (G, B, E strings scored, the white line underneath the fret numbers is dim on the left side and bright on the right side) have a (lane 1+9) midi note on channel 13.
Medium area strums (A, D, G, B strings scored, the white line underneath the fret numbers is dim on both ends and bright in the center) have a (lane 1+9) midi note on channel 14.
Low area strums (low E, A, D strings scored, the white line underneath the fret numbers is bright on the left side and dim on the right side) have a (lane 1+9) midi note on channel 15.
I've come to determine that the velocity can vary on these strum markers, it won't necessarily be 96 or 114. For example, there are strum markers in "Black Magic Woman" that have a velocity of 109.

Also, pro guitar note channels are:
1: Normal
2: Ghost
3: Bend (not hammer on as was previously believed)
4: Muted
5: Tapped
14: Bass slap

Pro guitar slides:
If the slide note marker indicates fret 7 or lower, the slide is forced to go up.
If the slide note marker indicates fret 8 or higher, the slide is forced to go down.
If the slide note marker is on channel 11, the direction is reversed from the above scheme.
THE HYPNOTOAD!
thekiwimaddog

Postby thekiwimaddog » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:49 am

Excellent! This is so obvious now and I can't bellieve I didn't spot that after hours of looking at it.

I'll change PS to match for the next release.
Thanks
David
THE HYPNOTOAD!
thekiwimaddog

Postby thekiwimaddog » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:13 am

Got a question regarding the Slider Markers. When you say if the slide note marker are you refering to the velocity on the slider mark itself or the notes that it may effect? If you are refering to the slide marker then I've found some issues using this system.
Space Oddity:
Time Direction Slider Channel Slider Velocity Note(s) Velocity
3:05 DOWN 1 107 111
3:37 UP 1 108 105/108 ( 2 notes together, one above 7 one below )
3:40 UP 1 108 105/108 ( 2 notes together, one above 7 one below )
3:44 UP 1 108 105/108 ( 2 notes together, one above 7 one below )
3:47 UP 1 108 105/108 ( 2 notes together, one above 7 one below )

If we were to go by the Note fret value then there is still issues as with 2 notes that are either side of fret 7. It may take the lower or higher value as the parent note but I've found places where this alternates.

Thanks
David
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:30 am

It's supposed to be the velocity of the slide marker, but I've found at least one exception myself, involving a muted slide note. I don't have any more information about RB3's slide system yet so who knows what other rules Harmonix has regarding them.

Return to “General FOF Discussion”