Want to buy a drumkit for FoFix but wich one?

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 13 years and 8 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
gostekk

Want to buy a drumkit for FoFix but wich one?

Postby gostekk » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:55 pm

I bought a standard rockband kit last week with PS3 drums and from watching real drums I really would like to have a more realistic drumkit in a few months (maybe when something gets broke on the kit).

I wonder if millenium hd100: http://www.thomann.de/se/millenium_hd100_edrum_set.htm
would work with FoFix and if it a good choice for 260 euros?

I've read that ION-set are good except that the bass-pedal sounds a lot and sucks...Ff someone could give me a link to some internet-shop where I get a good price on those I would be thankful too. I live in Sweden btw...

Is there any other cheap choices that got more realstic feeling and makes the switch to a real drumset later easier?

Another question for those who got ION-sets... Do you have any use for two yellow and two green in FoFix-songs...? Dont you need especially fretted songs to have use for it, is there any songs fretted for ION-drumsets? How do you know when to hit the cymbal and when to hit the normal drum if they are both green for example?
aka drumbilical
italianstal1ion

Re: Want to buy a drumkit for FoFix but wich one?

Postby italianstal1ion » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:20 am

Well, unless you get an electronic set, no toy set will help the transition into a normal drum set. Maybe for your rhythm, but grip, posture, technique for an actual set cannot be formed from a RB set, or an ION kit. I don't know about the HD-100 model, its probably not that great, but you can't get a real solid electronic drum set for less than $500 unless you know somebody. Roland or Yamaha is the brand to be looking for in this department.

Look up reviews, find some topics that have been made for this kind of stuff before.
Index of all Drum Topics on the Forum in one convenient place
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Drum Project 7 Released!
Drum Project 8 Released!
Drum project 9 Released!!
Image My personal topic.
Can't get enough?

Spoiler:Image Feedback + EOF Pro Notation
Image Albelgim collaboration
If you appreciate my work and would like to see more, a donation would certainly motivate me! Thank you.

gostekk

Postby gostekk » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:10 am

hm ok, guess you're right... I read that it was children/beginners drumkit anyway. Guess I should buy a good e-drumset like you say if Im gonna learn play drums for real.
Do you think a good e-drumset is enough? Do I need a acoustic drumset while Im learning drums the first year or can I start off with Digitalt Trumset Roland HD1 for example and then after a year maybe buy me acoustic drumset and get into a band...

Is that a good plan? Dont really have room for a big acoustic drumset in my small apartment right now and I really wanna learn drums by taking a few lessons and then play a lot on rockband!
Do you think Digitalt Trumset Roland HD1 is good for me and to play rockband with?

Btw... couldnt find ANY yamaha or roland drumset for under 780$ here in Sweden/Europe :(
drihscol

Postby drihscol » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:16 am

i heard somewhere that ION are making a new drum rocker, with a proper kick pedal, metal frame, and the old kick as hi-hat pedal.
kind of sucks that i bought mine for $500 last year >.>
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/bajnmkinaopofbfaopenlfooloknfjlf?hl=en-US

Spoiler:Bands I like

Pink Floyd
Dream Theater
Rush
Radiohead
The Pixies
The Doors
Elo
Ok Go
Jethro Tull
The Beatles
Pearl Jam
Alice In Chains

gostekk

Postby gostekk » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:46 pm

drihscol wrote:i heard somewhere that ION are making a new drum rocker, with a proper kick pedal, metal frame, and the old kick as hi-hat pedal.
kind of sucks that i bought mine for $500 last year >.>

Oh... will it work as good e-drums as well? Can I take drum lessons and then practice on that new ION-kit?? =)
aka drumbilical
italianstal1ion

Postby italianstal1ion » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:22 pm

An ION kit is okay for Rock Band...but I don't think its worth it in the long run. An actual e-drum set will help you a lot in getting into an acoustic set, but later on you can buy a more expensive e-drum set and actually use that in the band instead of an acoustic set.

If you're really worried about money and stuff, it won't kill you to play a rock band toy set for a couple months or so, but you basically have to relearn how to play on a real drum set.
Index of all Drum Topics on the Forum in one convenient place
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Drum Project 7 Released!
Drum Project 8 Released!
Drum project 9 Released!!
Image My personal topic.
Can't get enough?

Spoiler:Image Feedback + EOF Pro Notation
Image Albelgim collaboration
If you appreciate my work and would like to see more, a donation would certainly motivate me! Thank you.

aduro

Postby aduro » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:55 pm

I'd wait to see what people are for working on for rb3 pro
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:02 am

I have a Simmons something and use it in FoF. It's fantastic to say the least, and it's a beginner's set, so you won't pay through the nose.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
gostekk

Postby gostekk » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:01 am

aduro wrote:I'd wait to see what people are for working on for rb3 pro

Hm how can it be better than a real e-drumset if it really great it should be almost the same... and probably not cheaper?
Teh Deen
Silence

Postby Silence » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:06 pm

gostekk wrote:
aduro wrote:I'd wait to see what people are for working on for rb3 pro

Hm how can it be better than a real e-drumset if it really great it should be almost the same... and probably not cheaper?

The Rock Band 3 pro version of the ION drums will have 3 cymbals, a bass pedal with a beater and backboard thing (forgot what they're called) and a second crappy pedal.
Games I HAVE:Rock Band 2, Resident Evil 5, Dead Space, Castle Crashers LITTLEBIGPLANET!!
Games I've played:GH1-3 GH80s GHA GH:WT RB1 DMC1-4 Yeah, all the titles are abbreviated
homerrulz

Postby homerrulz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:11 pm

The ION drums on the ION set are quite good and can take quite a lot of punishment... just not the cymbals or the pedal. The pedal is only slightly better than the RB1 stock pedal (ie horrible), and the cymbals without a bit of tweaking will either break or double hit.
Having said that, if you don't care too much about the cymbals... the drums themselves more than make up for it. This is the set I've got. Along with a rockpedal and now only one working cymbal :biggrin:
My custom songs can now be found in the one place:-Homerrulz Song Thread

It's OUT - DRUM PROJECT 9!
Disturbed - Immortalized Album - https://www.fretsonfire.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59539
Manic Drummer Chic
piinyouri

Postby piinyouri » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:38 am

I've still got my RB2 PS2 set, with the pads wrapped in shirts to dampen the sound.
I've never had to worry about double hits, the pads are a LITTLE on the unsensitive side(super fast double rolls are not a guaranteed thing, but anything other than that is perfectly doable), and despite that I've recently bought a Nyko Metal Pedal, my old stock pedal has been played for about 5 months and hasn't broke.

As well, I've been playing real drums for a year and a half now, and playing Rock Band was what got me to try my hand at a real kit.

Just thought I'd share my little 2 cents. :smile:
-~ Master of Fire ~-
AussieJay

Postby AussieJay » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:22 am

I bought a PS3 RB1 drum kit for $10 brand new at a local store (since they're out of date) but also bought a RB Madcatz portable drum kit and set the pads up on a stand as cymbals. They're loud, tiny bit unstable, but last a long time and very cheap.

If you have the money - buy the best one you can. If you're a cheapass, do something like I've done :)

My 2 cents :thumbup:
FoFiX Expert Drummer using custom built Rock Band 4-pad drum kit and Mad Catz 4-pad portable drums (as cymbals!)
timfloss, apparently
timfoss

Postby timfoss » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:27 pm

What exactly is your budget? Like what's the most you'd be willing to spend? I could probably throw a few recommendations at you (that I've actually tried out too, not just saw a youtube video about).

Oh, and the "Millenium HD100 has the same Bass pedal and High-Hat pedal as the Ion kit FYI.

Oh, Oh, and I've NEVER had a problem with my ION bass pedal. The bass drum pad itself is another story, but the pedal works great IMO. The High Hat pedal is kinda shotty, as it triggers a lot. like it's VERY sensitive, so you'll find it making a noise upwards of 3 times per time you put your foot down/up. It gets better as you break it in though.

Return to “General FOF Discussion”