is there any program that will automatically fret a song?

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 13 years and 11 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
sahedad

is there any program that will automatically fret a song?

Postby sahedad » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:51 am

I know that this is probably a stupid question, but is there any program out there that will automatically fret songs for you? I really don't like the charts that I come up with.
googlyboogly
iamsensay

Re: is there any program that will automatically fret a song

Postby iamsensay » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:58 am

Basically, no.

You think your charts suck? A computer generated attempt would be worse than you can imagine.

Follow the guides and tutorials here and you'll get the hang of it i'm sure.
Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:11 am

There was one on ScoreHero but it was horrendous. I think acrox999 give me the link a while back. It was bad.

My Song Thread
Current Songs: 98
Secret Project in the Works! Check this signature for active updates!
My second band, Tetanus with Metallicaholic666 is recording a demo tape. Full album to follow.
sahedad

Postby sahedad » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:38 pm

How was it so awful? Did it create songs that were to easy?? Please expand if you would!!! Thanks!
Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:24 pm

It places notes everywhere evern with no sound and its just horrendous. Don't even attempt using it if you find it.

My Song Thread
My second band, Tetanus with Metallicaholic666 is recording a demo tape. Full album to follow.
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:50 am

Hey sahedad, ill give you a quick explanation on why auto fretters are so bad.

Firstly an "auto fretter" as people seem to call them these days have been around for at least 10 years, what they actually are, are wav/mp3 to midi converters ,they were used back in the day to create Monophonic midi tracks for mobile phone ringtones ( before the existence of polyphonic midi , wav, mp3 ringtones )

How a wav to midi converter works....
You take a wav file ( or mp3 ) and the converter scans and listens to the track for any pitch changes in the audio when it does it works out what that pitch or note was supposed to be and creates a midi note for it ( sounds perfect for the job you want to do i know... ) Now the problem with these apps is how they work inside. A converter like this doesn't know the difference between a guitar and a car horn, a singer from a chainsaw. They are all just sound as far as the program is concerned, so if you was to record a guitar riff you was playing ( intending to convert it to midi later ) and while your playing your alarm on your watch activated and it recorded both sounds, so in the recording you have your riff and some bebebebeep noises, the converter will think its all part of the same sound and so it will create notes for the guitar sound roughly on the correct notes ( it was never super accurate ) but it will also create notes for the watch alarm too. meaning your gonna have unwanted notes appearing in the midi.. Now scale that up to a full song.... your gonna have ( usually ) a singer, at least 2 often more guitars, drums and any other backing instruments used, its gonna confuse the hell out of the converter program. looking at it another way. imagine you was asked to take some dictation, one person sits and talks, you record everything he says by writing it down, now imagine 10 people all talking at the same time. your gonna hear several words all being said at exactly the same time which will cause you to make a hell of a mess of what your supposed to be writing down.. thats what happens in a wav to midi converter.

If you have more than 1 instrument in the audio its gonna try and create notes for both ( or all ) of them at the same time , often creating a mess and inaccurate midi's you play a C# on a guitar and D major on a piano and it thinks that is one note ( but a mix of both of those notes played ) so it created the note it thinks it should be which wont be the C# or the D major, it will be whatever note is created by playing both of those at the same time. Also not forgetting you have drums banging away too, so drum rolls etc are gonna show up as a string of small notes crammed in between the other notes, so in the end you are left with a screen full of notes that have no kind of pattern or real note sequence to them, if anything the midi would look like a wall of notes.

So using a wav to midi converter is bad news, its based on 10 year old ( at least ) technology, it was never intended for whole songs, just small samples of audio, and it was never any good even with that, the amount of work you had to put in to correct the midi after it created it was stupid. So trying to do it with a whole song containing multiple instruments is really gonna cause you to do a lot of reworking on the midi file.

If you want to make songs , but dont want the hassle of fretting each note yourself, you could take a look at mine or puppets tutorials ( mine is the one called " how to create songs without fretting a single note " ) and puppets tutorials also briefly touch on the subject of using pre-existing midi files.
If you want to follow my tutorial but do not have fruity loops dont panic almost everything that happens in fruity loops can be done in any other audio program that can handle both midi and wav/mp3/ogg just some of the buttons might be different. It will still require some rework as pre-existing midi is rarely 100% accurate but it will give you a base starting point. you will have notes in roughly the right places, you will just have to make sure they are in time with the music and are within the bounds of the fof-gh/rb notes system ( c5-c9 difficulty bands ) That might work out better for you if you dont want to have to fret yourself. But yeah stay well away from wav to midi converters or " auto fretters" as they really do not work very well at all, usually creating more work than it would have been to make the midi from scratch.
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
pimpinpalomo

Postby pimpinpalomo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:51 pm

To add on to this, there are a few editors you should avoid. The in-game editor, and Freetar. They are far too limited in their use, and are quite outdated. I would suggest using EoF. You can find a tutorial for that here.
Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:13 pm

I use FeedBack, as I dislike EoF.

My Song Thread
sahedad

Postby sahedad » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:09 pm

Does anybody know of a website that you can download fruity loop (is that the right name??)?

Thanks!!!
sahedad

Postby sahedad » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:25 pm

Alright, I have to sound cheep one more time (at least)!! Is there a free website with a convert from mp3 to midi? Actually any CD audio files to midi would be fine.

PS
Thanks for the link to the FL Studio.
wwe12321wwf

Postby wwe12321wwf » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:25 pm

you can convert guitar pro tabs into midi, open the midi in fl studio(Fruity Loops), and solo the guitar and export as a midi. done.
f*cking ninja's...
Asskickulater

Postby Asskickulater » Sat May 01, 2010 12:15 am

stop looking for shortcuts, its not possible lol
Image Image

Return to “General FOF Discussion”