Total noob keyboard playing questions !!

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 14 years and 7 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
schafro

Total noob keyboard playing questions !!

Postby schafro » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:48 pm

Hi I just started to play fof and I'm playing on easy adn medium GH I songs but I'm having trubles with the keyboard controls and don't know the use of some of them ( never played GH or RB on a platform ) . First of all I would like to know which frets keys do you use f1 , f2 .... or 1 , 2 ..... ? do you hold your keyboard like a guitar controler or it's down at your desk ( normal pc keyboard position ) , whats the killswitch , what does it do (use)? why are there 2 struming buttuns (how to optimaly use them)?
what all that " hopo " I read about ? I use return (enter ) and shift for strumming but if I use the shift buttun I get sticky keys interuptions on xp , how do you get pass this ? Is there a limit in playing songs with keyboard ?? some tips and tricks on how to play witha keyboard will be great too !!! thx for the great work you all do and for this game !!!
butthurt :'(
stashincash06

Re: Total noob keyboard playing questions !!

Postby stashincash06 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:16 am

ho/po is a hammer on and hammer off

and yes you hold the keyboard like a guitar
NBSRDan

Postby NBSRDan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:33 am

The intended fret buttons are the first five function keys. You can use any keys you want though, including the official Guitar Hero / Rock Band peripherals. The number keys might allow you to hit more "chords" than the function keys, but they also might be out of (convenient) reach due to the size of your keyboard. Try each configuration and find out which is best for you and the keyboard you use.

You might find the idea laughable at first, but holding the keyboard like a guitar actually works. A lot better than planting it down as normal no less.

I'm not sure about this since I don't use FoFiX, but I think Killswitch is a command that temporarily silences the guitar track. It's there in place of whammy, as basic Python does not support pitch bending.

There are two strumming buttons so that you can strum faster by alternating between them.

HOPO is an abbreviation of Hammer-on / Pull-off. A HO/PO is a note that can be played by tapping the corresponding fret button, regardless of whether you strummed at the right time.

Disable Sticky Keys or map the strum buttons to something other than Shift.

You can play any number and variety of songs with a standard keyboard. There is no limit.

When playing with a keyboard, fret in advance more often, even if there are hammer-ons. The functions keys are harder to press down and slide between than the normal guitar peripheral fret buttons.

You're welcome.
buttonfire

Postby buttonfire » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:35 pm

where can i find the hopo?
WhatIsThisIDon'tEven
Davidrawr

Postby Davidrawr » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:55 am

HOPOs are coloured white at the top, rather than white with a black rim. Though this can depend on your note theme.
My song thread!
You can cut our wings, but we will always remember what it was like to fly.
buttonfire

Postby buttonfire » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:55 am

even if i off them i can still see them

offtopic:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=41269
someone fret this please

Return to “General FOF Discussion”