COMPLETE TUTORIAL ON CREATING SONGS!

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 12 years and 1 month old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Dexgod

COMPLETE TUTORIAL ON CREATING SONGS!

Postby Dexgod » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:30 pm

COMPLETE PICTURE TUTORIAL ON CREATING SONGS

Song creating in Frets on Fire is very easy. First, you need a basic software called Freetar Editor.
It is available here: Freetar Editor

1. To create your song, you need an .ogg file of you soundtrack. To get one go to http://www.media-convert.com and convert your mp3 or wma to ogg.

2. Then, run Freetar Editor and go to File>New Song.

3. Select your ogg file when it browses.

4. Then go to Playback>Press button to record mode.

5. Press F1 for green, F2 for red, F3 for yellow, F4 for blue and F5 for orange. Press these keys while the song is playing and match the notes with the song.

6.Once you are done with the song, save it as <song name>.sng

7. After you have saved it, go to this website: FoF Tools

8. At the website, navigate to "Freetar Hero SNG to Frets on Fire MID converter"

9. Browse for the SNG file that you just created.

10. After you upload it, it will produce a notes.mid file. Download it to your desktop.

11. Go to your "C://Program Files/Frets on Fire/data/songs" folder. Create a new folder and name it the name of your song.

12. Drag and drop your notes.mid file into the folder.

13. Rename the original .ogg file you had to song.ogg then make two copies of it. Paste 1 of the song.ogg files into the folder.

14. Now, take the other song.ogg and rename it to guitar.ogg. Put it into the folder.

15. Now, open up notepad and type in exactly as shown in the picture, but replace the things in stars with your own names.

16. Save this file as song.ini in the folder. To put the extension as .ini, change in from text document to All Files and type in song.ini.

17. You are now done! Fire up the game and it will be available to play in the track list!

Credits to me. Please post replies and sticky please! If you have any questions, please pm me or post here, I will get back to you ASAP.
ABoyAndHisDog2

Re: COMPLETE TUTORIAL ON CREATING SONGS!

Postby ABoyAndHisDog2 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:08 am

I have seen a bunch of ways to make songs...
and none of them are the way I do it. Kinda funny. And my songs still turn out the same no matter what I do.
But then again, all of these methods have you use a Windows. I have a mac. So, I like the way I do my songs. Using the original song editor the game comes with.
I know that sounds like crap, but it works for me. :wink:

---- EDIT ----

Oh, and I think Audacity is better for converting mp3 to ogg. It is faster, in my opinion. Plus, you don't need an internet connection. But, anyway, do whatever u want to do.
Rock Lover/Fretter
vectris

Postby vectris » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:48 am

ABoyAndHisDog2 wrote:Oh, and I think Audacity is better for converting mp3 to ogg. It is faster, in my opinion. Plus, you don't need an internet connection. But, anyway, do whatever u want to do.

Well if you use EOF you can avoid converting altogether. Which is a pain in the butt with Audacity, it took me forever to find a version of "xxxx.dll" that wasn't a virus (xxxx I don't remember then name, like "lenc" or someting). I mean if you need it for the main function of the program, then why doesn't it come with it??? Anyways that's just my frustration at audacity, it is useful for making a song stereo since mono songs won't play in FoF.

As for the guide it's nice but Freetar isn't a very good editor. Sure you can say that all bad/good fret programs are based on opinion, but then again look at who uses what program and how good their product is.
R4nd0M

Postby R4nd0M » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:33 am

vectris wrote:
ABoyAndHisDog2 wrote:Oh, and I think Audacity is better for converting mp3 to ogg. It is faster, in my opinion. Plus, you don't need an internet connection. But, anyway, do whatever u want to do.

Well if you use EOF you can avoid converting altogether. Which is a pain in the butt with Audacity, it took me forever to find a version of "xxxx.dll" that wasn't a virus (xxxx I don't remember then name, like "lenc" or someting). I mean if you need it for the main function of the program, then why doesn't it come with it??? Anyways that's just my frustration at audacity, it is useful for making a song stereo since mono songs won't play in FoF.

As for the guide it's nice but Freetar isn't a very good editor. Sure you can say that all bad/good fret programs are based on opinion, but then again look at who uses what program and how good their product is.

lameenc.dll? You could have grabbed this from the official lame mp3 encoder site. Besides, Audacity is an audio editing program, not one designed solely for conversion (though its very handy in that regard). The encoding DLL is not included for legal reasons.
ABoyAndHisDog2

Postby ABoyAndHisDog2 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:15 am

vectris wrote:

Well, I tried EOF for mac. It does not work. I cannot figure out anything. And the tutorial it comes with does not help me at all. Anyway, I have Audacity for mac, and it works perfectly fine for me. Oh, and whenever I opened up EOF, it always said unable to support mp3 files.
Dungeon Master
megasxlrsebas2

Postby megasxlrsebas2 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:23 pm

sticky please

Dude... apparently you are new.
No many people uses freetar, since there are many other better programs out there to do it.
I guess this never gonna be stikyed.
Electro Tomato wrote:8 year olds are fun to hurt. They bleed profusely
Synthesiser Hero d_d
InPerFecTionS

Postby InPerFecTionS » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:59 pm

I'm probably the only person that uses Freetar Editor nowadays :2thumbsup:

I would say its pretty good, I just put it on -4 speed and it turns out perfect. And the best thing is that you don't need to fiddle with that stupid BPM and Tempo thing. Thanks for the well set out Tutorial. But the website doesn't work for me, so all of my finished freetar songs can't be converted :thumbdown:

I Know it's inperfections up top and imperfections down bottom...
    So Shut up...
    A bit about me;
    The only game I play on the PC is FoF. I mainly use Ps3 (the games I play are in my gamer tag.
    I am currently fretting MF from Hell

not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Postby raph666 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:12 pm

InPerFecTionS wrote:But the website doesn't work for me, so all of my finished freetar songs can't be converted :thumbdown:

If for some reasons the website is down when you try to access it you can use the offline version of the tools. You can download the offline scripts (included with my GUI) in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=1627
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:11 pm

InPerFecTionS wrote:I'm probably the only person that uses Freetar Editor nowadays :2thumbsup:

I would say its pretty good, I just put it on -4 speed and it turns out perfect. And the best thing is that you don't need to fiddle with that stupid BPM and Tempo thing.

That's one of the reasons Freetar sucks. You can ignore the tempo in EOF as well, but all songs that are of professional quality are beat synced, and that does require messing with the "stupid" tempo. There is no justifiable reason to use FE for anything except to see how bad it is.
Nogen

Postby Nogen » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:24 am

how can i make long chart with this app?
when i'm pressing the note for a long time it's making him come alot of times, but not connected..

i mean, for example, this is the note: -
i wanna make something like this:
----------------------------
that i'll be need to hold the key in the game, but when i'm doing it in the app it's doing something like this:
- - - - - - - - - - - -

how can i do it?
mrantiemo

Postby mrantiemo » Mon May 04, 2009 12:34 pm

can u add some details as to how you chart the file?
Death From Above
1337buddha

Postby 1337buddha » Mon May 04, 2009 8:35 pm

MEDIA-CONVERT IS AWESOME! I'VE BEEN LOOKING EVERYWHERE FOR AN ONLINE CONVERTER!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
There is no need to be upset.

1337buddha's Song Thread
Itriphus

Postby Itriphus » Tue May 12, 2009 4:16 pm

I use Freetar, but only because I don't plan on releasing my songs public, just sharing them with friends. However, I'll have some time in the future to invest in fretting, so I'll probably move on to EOF or Feedback eventually -- I still need to learn the basics of making a good chart.
I AM THE CATFISH MAN
Nathaniel607

Postby Nathaniel607 » Tue May 12, 2009 5:30 pm

Itriphus wrote:I use Freetar, but only because I don't plan on releasing my songs public, just sharing them with friends. However, I'll have some time in the future to invest in fretting, so I'll probably move on to EOF or Feedback eventually -- I still need to learn the basics of making a good chart.

I feel sorry for your friends.
A bit sleepy
Kotti

Postby Kotti » Wed May 13, 2009 10:26 am

Itriphus wrote:I use Freetar.....learn the basics of making a good chart.
Basics of making a good chart, part 1:
Delete Freetar editor.

Return to “General FOF Discussion”