Converting FOF songs to mp3?

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 15 years and 2 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
purplee

Postby purplee » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:57 am

Is there a program/batch that anyone has made that can convert frets on fire songs to mp3s (to put on a mp3 player).

I understand that audacity can be used to combine each song's tracks and convert them from ogg to mp3 but that would take -=forever=-...so is there a simpler way?
Purple's a fruit.

Berrgk

Postby Berrgk » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:06 am

if you own the game then you own the rights to have a backup collection of the MP3's
I'd grab a torrent or use p2p
purplee

Postby purplee » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:10 am

Sadly I have a download limit, making me definitely prefer to do it this way. I already have all these songs, I don't want to have to get them again!
Purple's a fruit.

Now Mudkip Flavour!
BSRaven

Postby BSRaven » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:25 pm

Audacity + LAME mp3 encoder.

EDIT: Oops, ninja'd... it's the only free way I know of.
Last edited by BSRaven on Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Crowley

Postby Mr. Crowley » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:12 am

Audacity doesn't really take that long. I only have 256 ram on my pc and it only takes like, a minute to do something long like Dream Theater or Dragonforce.
Guy 1: All your face are belong to us.
Guy 2: W... I'm sorry, what?
Guy 1: You heard me. All your face are belong to us.
Guy 2: I think it's base. All your base are belong to us.
Guy 1: Oh yeah? Ya think so, do ya?
Guy 2: ...yes.
Guy 1: *rips guy 1's face off.* Now what do you have to say for yourself?
purplee

Postby purplee » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:13 am

Mr. Crowley wrote:Audacity doesn't really take that long. I only have 256 ram on my pc and it only takes like, a minute to do something long like Dream Theater or Dragonforce.

For Guitar Hero/Rock Band songs (or any others with multi-part oggs) combining the oggs into one file takes about 30 seconds per part, then add the time to convert the whole lot to an mp3.

Take into consideration the amount of songs there are, and you're spending 3hrs per setlist.

Audacity is fine if its just a couple of songs (I have used this method a few times already) but for a large amount, it takes -ages- of clicking and waiting etc.
Last edited by purplee on Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purple's a fruit.

J-Man

Postby J-Man » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:38 pm

purplee wrote:
Mr. Crowley wrote:Audacity doesn't really take that long. I only have 256 ram on my pc and it only takes like, a minute to do something long like Dream Theater or Dragonforce.

For Guitar Hero/Rock Band songs (or any others with multi-part oggs) combining the oggs into one file takes about 30 seconds per part, then add the time to convert the whole lot to an mp3.

Take into consideration the amount of songs there are, and you're spending 3hrs per setlist.

Audacity is fine if its just a couple of songs (I have used this method a few times already) but for a large amount, it takes -ages- of clicking and waiting etc.

^^^He speaks truth. GH3 tier 5 took 10 mins on a 2Ghz celery processer and 1gb ram.
xbox360922

Postby xbox360922 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:13 am

purplee wrote:For Guitar Hero/Rock Band songs (or any others with multi-part oggs) combining the oggs into one file takes about 30 seconds per part, then add the time to convert the whole lot to an mp3.

I know what you mean man! When I upped the volumes on the GH3 songs, it took a good 12-15 hours to complete.
Retired Fretter
tyros

Postby tyros » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:35 am

It doesn't really take that much time to do it with Audacity: just drag and drop guitar.ogg, song.ogg, etc (20 sec) and click file>save as mp3 (about 1 min, depending on the song), and there you have it :) At least, that's how it works for me...
purplee

Postby purplee » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:47 am

tyros wrote:It doesn't really take that much time to do it with Audacity: just drag and drop guitar.ogg, song.ogg, etc (20 sec) and click file>save as mp3 (about 1 min, depending on the song), and there you have it :) At least, that's how it works for me...

Either you have a maxishine computer going or you're not taking into account the time it takes to combine/import the oggs, or the time it takes to export them together as an mp3 lol
Purple's a fruit.

not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Postby raph666 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:54 am

I made this little application that uses other converting and encoding tools (SoXand LAME -included- ) to mix, export and encode to mp3 any (hopefully...) FretsOnFire songs. It's not really faster than any other methods but it has the big advantage to be automatized.

To use it, simply run FoFtoMp3.exe, select your songs library and it will automatically create an "Artist - Title.mp3" file (variable bitrate, med-high quality) with all instruments mixed in every song folder (you can easily get them all by using the "windows search" by searching for *.mp3 in your songs library). There are not much options right now (and this could probably be a "final" version, if there are no bugs), only click and wait (patience required).
Click on the screenshot to download:

I did test it and it seemed to work good but if you have any problems tell me.
Last edited by raph666 on Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
purplee

Postby purplee » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:03 am

Thanks again raph :D :D exactly what was needed, and hopefully a heap of people can find a use for it!

EDIT: I just tested it out, and it worked with no issue at all, was much easier than doing every song separately. The only improvement I could see would be to have a target destination for the mp3s created, otherwise, its perfect! Thankyou Raph :D
Last edited by purplee on Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purple's a fruit.

jonfawcett

Re: Converting FOF songs to mp3?

Postby jonfawcett » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:28 pm

is there any chanse it could be uploaded as a zip file? as i dont have winrar...i downloaded it...but it came with viruses and a corrupted file :S
stop
quakegod667

Re: Converting FOF songs to mp3?

Postby quakegod667 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:00 pm

Another way, but not-so-simple way:

Get iTunes.

Google QuickTime Xiph Ogg plugin.

Download it.

Install it.

Drag the ogg file from the FOF Song directory (preferably song.ogg) into the iTunes library.

Right click it and do "Convert to MP3"

There ya go!!!!

Again, Raph's way seems easier and simpler.

Return to “General FOF Discussion”