Some ideas for cool UI changse - What should be changed w/ the interface

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 17 years and 8 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
sageman

Postby sageman » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:23 am

I was thinking of some neat changes to the UI that could be useful as well as cool looking. Below is the list:

* Reading metadeta in the song select screen: Metadeta from song.ogg could be read to show information regarding Title, Artist, Album, Track No., Genre and the guy that fretted it, which could all be displayed on the right where it currently displays the track name and all -- this would be a more encapsulated approach too, in the nature of the Ogg container

* Bitmaps for songs: Each song could have some image, like song.jpg or something, which could be applied to the cassette tape.

* Better scanning in song navigation: Scanning songs should definitely be improved; one idea I have is to put the Artist and Title on the "top" of the cassette, so when that song is not selected you can still see it, providing quicker scanning of tracks. Additionally, navigation speed should be selectable in the options screen.

* A HUD: I think displaying a bit more information while you are playing the song would be useful; specifically, I'm thinking that your current streak could be displayed, as well as metadeta from the file and a horizontal "song progress" meter, showing how far you are into the song, as well as a timer indicating how far you are into the song (or time remaining, selectable in options). This HUD could be turned on or off (or, even better, individual features could be turned on or off) in the options menu.

* Player profiles: Instead of having to keep entering your name after each song you get a record in, you should be able to keep a profile; additionally, the profile should record your individual best records for each song, and this should be displayed alongside the overall best scores in the song navigation screen. You should be able to create profiles in the options screen and select a profile (or "no profile") after clicking "Play".
Carlton Stedman
Electrical and Computer Engineering Student, WPI
jakeman7676

Postby jakeman7676 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:13 pm

"Player profiles: Instead of having to keep entering your name after each song you get a record in"

you dont have to do that anyways it keeps the last name typed in

"I'm thinking that your current streak could be displayed"

it already does in the top right corner
Honorary Junior Deptuty Image
Miglin

Postby Miglin » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:45 pm

As far as the UI goes, I want to see the notes get "destroyed" when played correctly. Guitar Hero does this with a small fire effect, though it doesn't have to be imitated. Watching the notes go by after I've hit them makes me feel like I'm missing.
wicaus

Postby wicaus » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:02 pm

Miglin wrote:As far as the UI goes, I want to see the notes get "destroyed" when played correctly. Guitar Hero does this with a small fire effect, though it doesn't have to be imitated. Watching the notes go by after I've hit them makes me feel like I'm missing.

I like that idea. Especially with the current bug (?) where you can miss a note entirely and not lose your multiplier.

Return to “General FOF Discussion”